St. John Mary International School supports the concept of community service by the students it serves. Community service teaches the values of citizenship; helps to develop a sense of community pride, provides an awareness of the needs of the community, and shows students that, as contributing members of society, they can make a difference. This concept fosters a positive relationship between the educational community and the public/private sectors of the wider community in which we live.
Furthermore, it helps students to look beyond the classroom, and encourages responsible and caring participationin his or her local community and in the wider world. Student stake an active role in the development of the school and local communities, as well as the world. Participating and helping others is a great way to make your school year productive and memorable.
Students are required to complete 40 hours of community service during their four years in high school. Students who served for 100 hours or more will be given the Helping Hand Award.
Students will be provided the opportunity to:
• Bridge varied ethnic, socio-economic, and generational backgrounds.
• Gain self-reliance, self-respect, and confidence while developing a positive self-esteem.
• Experience connections between academia and real life situations.
• Develop life skills that apply to personal life, professional life, and possibly a future career.
• Gain valuable experiences and exposure to a wide variety of career choices.
• Sharpen and apply their skills in leadership, planning, implementing, and evaluation.
• Analyze their experiences via reflective writing.
• Develop a sense of control over their environment that may encourage participation in government issues, elections, and community affairs.
• Work collaboratively with members of the community.
SJMIS is a member of the International Schools Athletics Association thus giving opportunity to our students to join and compete with several International Schools in Bangkok and nearby provinces. SJMIS has several sporting facilities such as the Golf Driving Range, Lawn Tennis, Football field, Swimming Pool, Basketball, Badminton, and Volleyball courts providing avenues for students hone their athletic abilities.